Teach with us
Our tutors receive competitive pay and graduate college with less debt than other students.
We Succeed Virtual Tutor Job Application
(Note: applicants will be invited to interview and accepted on a rolling basis so it is advised to submit your application as soon as possible)
Stipend: $30 / hour (dispersed monthly)
- Temporary / Seasonal (~ 16-week semester-long commitment required) with opportunity to continue in future semesters)
- Part-Time (3-12 hours / week)
About We Succeed
We Succeed employs high-achieving college students in need of financial support to offer affordable tutoring to younger students, boosting the academic and long-term economic success for both.
Launched in 2020, We Succeed aims to provide a “win-win” approach to tackling educational inequalities by paying college students with financial need a competitive wage while boosting success rates for K-12 students who need remote tutoring support – especially during COVID-19. For more information about We Succeed’s mission, please visit us at www.wesucceed.org.
Why Your Work as a Tutor Matters
Across the country, the COVID-19 pandemic has led to compounding educational challenges for low-income K-12 students. Even before COVID-19, the achievement gap between low-income and high-income K-12 students has increased 40% over the past 25 years.
In addition to younger students facing unprecedented academic challenges, the average debt for college students has risen to $35,397 per borrower, according to the Department of Education. By employing college students as tutors, and offering a competitive wage for this work, We Succeed hopes to help students work towards graduating from college debt-free.
How Tutoring With We Succeed Works
Tutors provide online support via video and virtual communication to high school students in need. Tutors may support one or two students simultaneously during each tutoring session, which can last between 60 and 90 minutes each and occur up to a few times per week for students. Depending on student need and tutor availability, each tutor may devote between 3 and 12 hours per week supporting students.
If your Tutor application is accepted, you will complete a mandatory background check and virtual training that covers effective tutoring practices to amplify your chances of successfully meeting academic outcomes with your assigned students.
Upon completing your training, you will be matched to your student “clients” based not only on mutual scheduling availability and academic subjects to which you bring a strong skillset, but also based on interests and hobbies shared by you as the Tutor with your students. We aim to pair students to tutors with like interests because building rapport with students is a key component for tutoring success.
Tutors not only support their students academically, but build strong, meaningful relationships with their students. Finally, tutors will follow basic curricula on high school subjects and use their expertise in specific academic subjects to help their assigned students meet their goals during a semester-long term with weekly sessions.
We Succeed Tutor Responsibilities
- You will adapt lesson plans to meet the individual needs and academic goals of your assigned students.
- You will submit notes and reports to We Succeed leadership on the progress of your student(s), challenges, and your plans to help your student(s) overcome their challenges.
- You will work to ensure your student(s) complete evaluation surveys before their tutoring semester and at the end of their tutoring semester with you.
- Due to the nature of remote/virtual learning, you must be prepared to navigate software and troubleshoot technical issues as they arise.
- You will work remotely and be expected to manage your time effectively in order to ensure you are on time and prepared for tutoring sessions, as well as maintaining proper college-work-life balance.
- You must submit your availability for the semester upon being accepted into the We Succeed program and be able to consistently work during that submitted schedule.
- You must check and respond to emails regularly and consult with We Succeed leadership.
- You have an interest and strong, demonstrable academic background, skills, and comprehension of concepts in at least one core subject (Math, English / Literacy, History / Social Studies, and / or Science)
- You are passionate about youth development and addressing education inequality
- You are committed to continuous learning and growth and are skilled at receiving and adapting to feedback
- You are a current undergraduate student who can demonstrate financial need
- You maintain a college GPA of at least 3.5
- You have intermediate computer skills
- You have strong time management skills
- You possess strong verbal and written communication skills
- Prior experience coaching, tutoring, or mentoring students, preferred but not required
- Bilingual candidates are preferred but not required
- Please be aware that you must clear a background check before you would be able to work as a We Succeed tutor.
We Succeed provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants.
People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.